No Worries... Curry! Recipes: Butter Chicken
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon, 3 inch (8 cm) stick
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- rice, for serving
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl, season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and the teaspoon of turmeric. Let sit for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Brown the chicken, then remove from the pot.
- Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot, then add the onion, garam masala, remaining teaspoon of chili powder, the cumin, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add the water and cream and return to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the last 2 tablespoons of butter and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with cilantro.