No Worries... Curry! Recipes: Chicken Tikka Masala
1. 6 garlic cloves, finely grated
2. 4 tsp. finely grated peeled ginger
3. 4 tsp. ground turmeric
4. 2 tsp. garam masala
5. 2 tsp. ground coriander
6. 2 tsp. ground cumin
7. 1½ cups whole-milk yogurt 1 Tbsp. salt
8. 2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
9. 3 Tbsp. ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
10. 1 small onion, thinly sliced
11. ¼ cup tomato paste
12. 6 cardamom pods, crushed
13. ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
14. 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
15. 2 cups heavy cream
16. ¾ cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
17. Steamed basmati rice (for serving)
1. Combine your garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl.
2. Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and coat it up!
3. Cover and chill 4-6 hours. Cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
4. Heat your ghee in a big pot over medium heat.
5. Add your onions, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until your tomato paste has darkened and your onions are soft. This should take about 5 minutes.
6. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring, until the bottom of the pot begins to brown. This should take about 4 minutes.
7. Add your tomatoes and your juices.
8. Make sure they are crushed as you’d them!
9. Bring your mix to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring often.
10. Make sure to scape the browned bits from bottom of pot as your stir. That’s the best part!
11. Continue until the sauce thickens. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
12. Add your cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer and stir until sauce thickens some more! For theist results, do this for about 30-40 minutes.
13. As you simmer, reheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange chicken on rack in a single layer. Broil until chicken starts to blacken in spots (it will not be cooked through). This should take no longer than 10 minutes.
14. Cut your semi-cooked chicken into bite-size pieces.
15. Add the cut pieces to your sauce!
16. Simmer and stir until chicken is cooked through. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
17. Serve with rice and cilantro sprigs!