1. 2 tablespoons butter
2. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3. 1 pound russet potatoes
4. 1 cup yellow onion, diced
5. 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño pepper, minced
6. 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
7. 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8. 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
9. 1/2 teaspoon salt
10. 2 teaspoons ground coriander
11. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
12. 3 tablespoons water
13. 12 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- In a medium-sized pot, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks
- add them to the boiling water and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Remove them from the heat, drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the parboiled potatoes for about 8–12 minutes they begin to brown; remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Turn down the heat; add the onions and pepper and sauté for a few minutes until limp.
- Add the spices and sauté for 2 minutes
- add the lemon juice and water and simmer for a few minutes more
- 10. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach is fully wilted.
- 11. Add the potatoes to the skillet and mix well.
- 12. Serve hot.