No Worries... Curry! Recipes: Shahi Paneer
1. Paneer (Homemade or store bought)
2. Cashews – Add thickness to the gravy
3. Fresh produce – onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chili
4. Whole spices – green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon sticks
5. Spice powders – red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, garam masala, green cardamom seeds powder (makes the gravy aromatic), dried fenugreek leaves
7. Heavy whipping cream (malai) – makes the dish creamy and rich
8. Cilantro – added as a garnish
1. Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile prep rest of the ingredients.
2. After soaking time grind into smooth paste and keep it aside.
3. Take onion, ginger, garlic, green chili, green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon sticks in a pan. Add water and turn the heat on high.
4. Bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling lover the heat to medium.
5. Let it simmer for 8-10 minutes or till onions get soft and translucent. Turn off the stove heat and let it cool slightly.
6. Then grind into smooth paste using grinder or blender. Remove it to a bowl
7. In the same jar, puree the tomatoes and keep it aside
8. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add prepared onion paste and stir.
9. Cook till all the moisture evaporates, for about 4-5 minutes.
10. Then add tomato puree.
11. Mix and continue cooking.
12. Again cook till all the moisture evaporates and oil starts to ooze out from the sides. Do stir occasionally to make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
13. Add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and black pepper powder
14. Mix and cook for a minute.
15. Now add cashew paste.
16. Stir well.
17. Immediately add water otherwise it will start to stick the pan.
18. Mix well and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
19. Then add garam masala and kasoori methi.
20. Mix well.
21. Now add saffron strands and mix.
22. Add paneer pieces.
23. Mix and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Adjust the gravy consistency at this time if needed.
24. Add heavy cream.
25. Mix and let come to a simmer. Then turn off the stove.
26. Add cardamom powder. NOTE: we are adding cardamom powder at the end so it retains its aroma and keeps the dish aromatic at the time of serving.
27. Also sprinkle chopped cilantro.
28. Stir and curry is ready to serve.